Saturday, December 24, 2016

Kohaihai and Karamea

After the Oparara walks I returned down the gravel road to the main road and headed north to where the road ended by the Kohaihai River- near the southern end of the Heaphy Track. It was glorious there, with pohutukawa starting to flower and lots of rata in flower. Weka were wandering around the parking/ camping area. The West Coast ocean was rolling in, with a steep drop-off into deeper water. 

 
 

I took the start of the track and crossed the bridge onto the Heaphy Track, then walked along the nikau walk.
 
 

Back in Karamea I took the steps up behind the campground onto the top of the stopbanks and was surprised by how wide the Karamea River was. 
 
Then I drove down for a wander on the beach, which I had completely to myself! I loved finding all the granite rocks along the sand, especially the pink-hued ones.
Tonight I ate dinner out at the historic Karamea Country Hotel- very pleasant, with beautiful gardens.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment