Monday, October 22, 2012

Down memory lane

We had a primary school reunion for St Joseph's in Waitara this weekend, and there was time to revisit some old haunts. Strangely, the streets all seemed shorter and closer together and the hills mostly not so steep...

We had the option to go on a bus trip on Saturday morning.

First up was into New Plymouth to see the Rewa Rewa bridge- and nearby I saw a couple of people white-baiting.


After driving via Lepperton, we went to Urenui. We used to have parish picnics here when I was a child, and I have good memories of being big enough to join the others, swimming over to the mud flats and smearing my body in mud. Good fun for kids!


Back in Waitara, we drove up to the lookout on the bluff above the river. The river changed its course quite dramatically after Cyclone Bola.


I took a few walks in the afternoon, firstly down by the old wharf. The building where Sisarich's fish and chip shop was is still there. We used to buy our Friday fish there, and Paula was in my class.


I never go to Taranaki without taking a wee trip to a beach somewhere. This time the tide was full and the river was full, so the river mouth looked quite dramatic, and there was lots of driftwood tossed on the beach near the rivermouth.



Looking around the old school was interesting. We only had one classroom block in my day, but now there is quite a large array of buildings, and there is a wetland down the end of the playground.



Growing up in Waitara meant an association with Borthwicks Freezing Works for most people- but for me it was the Railways where Dad worked- though of course his job was also there because of the Works.
The railway station and platform have been completely removed, but this old rolling stock has been left there now as a kind of memorial.


And there is a 'tourist' train that runs on Sundays. I caught sight of it from the Fire Station where we were having our hangi lunch. Next time I am in the area on a Sunday I will have to make sure I take this train trip!

7 comments:

  1. It looks like a varied and interesting day. I love Taranaki, and often head off down there for a few days when I feel in need of a road trip. My daughter and son-in-law lived in New Plymouth for a few years, and their 1st child, now 3 and a half, was born there. I particularly enjoy the west coast beaches, with their tangle of driftwood and their bracing winds.
    Of all these shots, I enjoyed the first, the 2 whitebaiters, the most - it encapsulates that part of the world for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely a west coast beach person- I like the wildness! Calm, pretty white sand bays are nice for a holiday, but they don't touch my spirit like the unpredictability of the west coast does!

      Delete
  2. I love the beach photos with the driftwood especially. i haven't seen driftwood like that since leaving NZ. Sounds like a good reunion too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The driftwood near the river mouth was especially deep even by NZ standards Lorraine. Quite fascinating to look at and walk on.

      Delete
  3. Wow..your pics just seem to get better and better. I agree with Lorraine that the driftwood is amazing. Someday. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin, yes indeed- someday. Driftwood on the beach nearest me can be amazing too, though it gradually disappears as people take it home to dry for firewood.

      Delete
  4. Love your second Driftwood photo,great blog

    ReplyDelete