Saturday, August 12, 2006

The weather

The weather has turned into jeans and jersey weather here in Ireland and as I only have one pair of jeans now, I am starting to get a bit smelly. Hopefully I can get back to some lighter clothing soon! Though soon enough I know I will be moaning about the heat and humidity of Malaysia and Singapore.
There are weather words I have encountered in Ireland that are unique to this land. People say it is a "soft day" when it is drizzling or raining just lightly, without much wind. Quite a nice term really.
"Quite fine" to the Irish means it is drizzling only slightly and is warm enough, or that it has just been drizzling, or that it might well be drizzling again soon.
"Sweltering" means the summer temperature has reached about 23 or 24 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment